Monday 19 August 2013

Five shiny things I've stumbled upon...

I had a read through my old notebook from Malawi today (I still haven't finished, there are two big notebooks and I've read about five sevenths of one). But as I was reading I came across some bits that I really liked, and I don't think I've blogged previously! So I thought I'd give you a little highlights package - apologies if any of this makes no sense out of context to anyone other than myself.

Number One.
I’m watching Michael play catch with the kids. And it’s a beautiful thing to behold. The delight in these kids faces just to get a throw to them from “SIR!” (or “SALA!” for the younger ones) is just awesome. The joy is infectious, and Michael is messing around doing stupid dances and throwing dummies, and it makes me think of what heaven is going to be like. The best Father ever playing with his kids. And I like that thought a lot. Because on that day, I’ll get to be one of the kids.

Number Two.
How awesome is a sunrise? How glorious are the stars at night?

But what if they were just a picture, a shadow, a pale reflection of a greater glory? What if they were waiting to be replaced by the Star of David, by the Son?

The sun will no more be your light by day,
nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you,
for the LORD will be your everlasting light,
and your God will be your glory.”
What if every night of weeping and every day of toil in a too-hot sun melted away at the sight of a greater light? What if darkness and pain finally fled, never to return?

Your sun will never set again,
and your moon will wane no more;
the LORD will be your everlasting light
and your days of sorrow will end.”

Number Three.
THERE IS NO ONE ON EARTH WHO NEEDS ME.
This is never going to change.
All I ever am or ever can be is a bringer of good news.
A mirror.
A window.
A volcano.
A remember of old songs sung by our great grand-mothers and fathers.
A metaphor.
A likeness.
A child.

Number Four.
“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” 1 Corinthians 15:10. Jesus, it’s a beautiful mystery that your grace is effective. I love that you are so powerful and awesome that even your acceptance brings transformation. Even your forgiveness provokes repentance. That is utterly beautiful. That by loving us as we are, with such intensity and beauty, you transform us. Your grace is not efficient –it does not aim at this effect – but it is effective. What is the aim of grace? Maybe it has no aim, it is more essential than that, more personal. After all, what is the aim of love? It has effects, it has consummations, but no aim. No intention. It just is. Your grace just is, before, and beyond the entirety of the universe. You are the Alpha and the Omega. And like a great, great mass it bends the whole of space-time around itself, so we come closer to you.

Number Five.
Hope changes everything. Does it actually change the things themselves or just how you experience them? Maybe it doesn’t matter. Hope is strong. To live in hope is to go without fear into a future that is not clear. It is to walk forward with arms out and eyes open – anticipating beauty. Hope is not telling your mum and dad what you want for Christmas. Because you know they know you so well and love you so much that if it isn’t what you want it will be better.

To pray in hope is to love God enough to know that he probably has a better idea.
To live in hope is to know that we are characters in a story that we are not writing. But the writer is a good writer, and the story is a good story.

Of course there will be moments of drama, of pain, of struggle, of anguish – but no good story is all happy ending. And the ending is coming, and it is good. It has already been written. It was born in tears and built with scar tissue, but the golden city awaits.



No comments:

Post a Comment