Sunday 13 October 2013

Bicycle Crashes (But Only Metaphorical Ones)

I think human beings are a bit like beautiful bicycles that have crashed into walls at speed.

The reason I make this observation now is that I went to a fresher’s free lunch put on by the Christian Union at my college yesterday, and had some really interesting chats afterwards. One of the first things my mate Zoe said was something along the lines of:
“They kept saying how people are bad, but for me religion is about trying to be a good person, that’s where it all starts.”

Now I’ve been thinking about this. And, as I said before, what I think the bible says is that people are like beautiful bicycles after a dramatic crash. Let me explain.

The bible insists that people are epic. We are beautiful. We are positively sparkling with potential, the masterpiece of creation. It insists there is something in us that worth more than the whole world, something priceless and golden and precious. It relentlessly tells us that we are loved, and that we are capable of literally changing the world. We are shiny new bikes, and we have got 97 and a half gears, and we can hit some serious speeds.

But then the bible notices that that’s not quite the whole picture. And I’ve noticed that too. I do feel like something about me seems to have had an unexpected meeting with a wall a long time back, and got twisted. There are still lots of shiny parts, and sometimes you wouldn’t even guess if you saw me that the bike had ever crashed – but somehow the frame is warped, the wheels are bent. I’m sure I’m pointing the handlebars straight forwards but a bit later I look around and I’ve veered off somewhere and I’m thinking “how did I end up here?!” I plan to go somewhere but then I realise I’m actually just going round and round in circles. I make the same mistakes over and over again. Some of the time the ride is just a bit awkward, it’s just hard work, but I get there; and then other times I find myself clipping the kerb and things get properly messy.

I seem to be broken, and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t.

But then every time, the bible seems to nudge us, and say well, what do you need? And the honest answer is that I need someone who’s strong enough to straighten out a twisted bike frame with his bare hands.


And I know just the guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment