Thursday 7 March 2019

Dancing Lessons for Life: musings on freedom


Is there a word that, whenever you hear it, strikes fear into your heart? A word that pierces you like an icy knife of dread? There is for me. Perhaps you feel the same. It’s the word, “Freestyle!”

OK, I’m exaggerating, but let’s be honest, how do you feel about the command to ‘freestyle’ in a public dancing context? I’m sure there are many people out there and even some reading this blog who enjoy a casual boogie with friends considerably more than me, and have a great deal more competence in that area – but I’m also pretty sure a lot of people will understand what I mean about the fear of publicly facing the demand to improvise. Soren Kierkegaard famously said that “anxiety is the dizziness of freedom”, and when I imagine being shoved into the centre of a dance circle and being told to do whatever I want, I know exactly what he means.

On the other hand, last summer I was helping run a student camp in Eastern Europe, and the UK team were asked to perform some of our ‘cultural dances’ for an international evening of entertainment. This led to a bit of cultural soul-searching, and eventually the conclusion that we should do an easy-to-copy dance routine to ‘Reach For the Stars’! We did a bit of practice, decided what we were doing, and then in front of 50 or so students, we went for it!
 
Now that experience felt weirdly like freedom. I was doing exactly what I had been told to do by the more competent and enthusiastic members of the group – and I was doing exactly what everyone else was doing – but, contrary to what some of the most fundamental principles of postmodern Western consumerism would tell you, that actually set me free! Free to go for it, hurling my limbs into various moves, circling round with everyone else, singing my heart out whenever I had a clue what the words were! All the people watching and joining in filled my body and brain with adrenaline, but not with anxiety. Why? Because freedom is not actually being allowed to do whatever I feel like. Freedom does not equal unrestricted choice. That is a woefully inadequate idea of freedom, because it’s based on a cruelly oversimplified idea of how humans work.

I wish I’d grown up where my mate Innes did in Scotland where they understand this and so they learnt the moves to ceilidh dances in school until they didn’t need anyone to tell them what to do they could just announce the dance and everyone stepped and jumped and whirled each other round in unison, to the rhythm of the music. That’s what dancing is meant to be like. And it’s a lot closer to what being human is meant to be like than taking turns to be shoved into the middle of the circle and trying to be funny or do the worm. (Don’t hear me wrong – there’s a lot that’s great fun about non-organised dancing, we did a lot of it at our wedding and it was EPIC. But aren’t the best moments the ones where you’re dancing with other people and you realise you kind of know what you’re all doing together? Or a song comes on that you know and you can all sing along to every word?)

So dancing lesson for life number one is this: is it possible that freedom is more than ‘freestyling’? Is it even possible that the deepest kind of freedom comes from knowing the moves?

But what got me onto this idea in the first place was actually something a bit deeper than that, which I’ve massively learnt by experience in the last couple of years – so I’ll write about that soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment